Friday, July 18, 2008

Cherry Skillet chicken w/ rice dinner $1.71

Tonight I tried a recipe from my new favorite cookbook, Fix, Freeze, Feast. This book focus' on buying in bulk, and splitting it up to get the best value. It is PREP ahead...not cook ahead(OAMC is just not for me) just like Dream Dinner, which is why I love it so much.

OK, so here is tonight's dinner...sorry, no pictures:(

Cherry Chicken- $1.36(for 2)

2 chicken breast-1.14
1/2 cup dried cherries- .16
1/2 cup chicken broth- pennies (I used 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules)
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar-.03
1 tsp sugar- pennies
1/4 tsp salt- pennies

Homemade Chicken Rice a Roni- .35 cents (for 2 with lots of leftovers)

rice-.16
Spaghetti noodles- .05
dried onion- .06
garlic powder-.01
thyme-.01
dried parsley-.01
bouillon granules-.05

Add a salad and some bread rolls! Yummmm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy the recipes and the cost breakdowns you have on here. Please keep them coming!

Crystal DuBois said...

I am so happy to hear that someone out there is reading these! I have chicken Parm, and Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe coming soon!