Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Southwestern Corn Chowder




OK, so I wouldn't count this as a shoestring recipe( total cost is about $6.00 for a large pot), but it is OH SO GOOD! It has rained here for days, and it was so comforting to sit down in my jammies eating a bread bowl filled with this yummy chowder.


The recipe is from the Food Network. I have also added it to my Thanksgiving menu. It is perfect to keep in a crock pot. I have made it for the last 2 years, and it is a major hit! It is the kind of dish that just gets better as it sits, so it is perfect to nosh on all day long. Dip some sourdough bread into it, and it is culinary heaven!


This time around, I took a shortcut, and used canned fire roasted tomatoes, instead of roasting the Roma's. It is an OK substitute, but admittedly, the fresh tomatoes do taste a little better.


ENJOY!
.
.
.
EDITED:
It was killing me that I couldn't make this a shoestring recipe, so I went on the hunt! Here is what I came up with...
2 pounds frozen corn kernels, thawed, and drizzled with olive oil -1.00
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
10 Roma tomatoes, rubbed with olive oil -2 cans fire-roasted instead from Walmart-.92 (use this $1/2 printable coupon)
1 medium red pepper, rubbed with olive oil -skip this...it is just a garnish
2 tablespoons butter -.18
1/4 small yellow onion, diced -.15
3 garlic cloves, sliced -pennies
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour pennies
3 cups chicken stock -powdered bouillon -.10
2 cups half-and-half -1.50
1 1/2 cups corn tortilla
chips, chopped -pennies
Cumin -pennies
Chili powder pennies
1 medium avocado, small diced, for garnish-skip this, I don't like avocado
TOTAL=$3.85

1 comment:

Super Fun Mama said...

I was going to subscribe to your RSS feed but couldn't find a subscribe button.