Sunday, March 2, 2008

Healthy Snack- Soft Pretzel COST-.31 cents/DOZEN!!!



The Natural Mommy is hosting Recipe Swap 2008. Here is my contribution...

Homemade Soft Pretzels

3 1/2 C. Flour - .14 cents
2 T. sugar .01 cent
1 tsp salt .01 cent
4 tsp yeast .03 cents
1 C. water FREE
1 T Shortening .03 cents
1 egg yolk .20 cents ( this is opt, it helps it to "glisten" )
1 T water FREE
coarse salt .02 cents

Baking soda bath
2 T baking soda- .01 cent
2 cups warm water- FREE

Mix 1 cup flour with sugar, salt and yeast. Separately, heat 1 cup water and shortening to 120 degrees. Slowly add flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup more flour, and beat again for 2 min. Stir in the rest of the flour. Knead 5 min. Set in a grease bowl and let rise in warm place for 40 min. (or double in size) Punch down.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces, and roll each one into a long rope (18-20 inches). Shape into pretzels or other shapes. Mix Baking soda bath. Dip each shaped dough for about 30 seconds. Place a greased cookie sheet, and rest 5-20 min. Depending on your desired "fluffiness" Mix egg yolk and 1 T water. Brush on the pretzels, and sprinkle with the salt. Bake at 450 for 7-8 min.

(Note : in my oven 7-8 min is a little long. I would reccommend checking them at about 5-6 with the oven light to see what color they are. Also, when I bake I use parchment paper instead of foil. This helps to bown more evenly)

Makes 12

Cost approx .48 cents total! maybe even less! ( plus the cost of the oven ...8 min to cook, 5 min to warm up...at .16 cents/ hour= approx...03 cents )

GRAND TOTAL= .51 for 12 pretzels

Want an even cheaper version...omit the egg wash and the cost is only.....31 cents for the dozen!

4 comments:

Joshua said...

I must say, because it's true!, that this is one of the very best blogs I've ever visited yet!

Congrats!

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Oh no you didn't.

I've never been more tempted to get in the kitchen and bake at 12:45 IN THE MORNING.

Soft pretzels are a severe WEAKNESS of mine.

And if these taste anywhere as good as they look in that picture (and they look like they would give Auntie Anne a run for her money), then you've become an enabler.

I just want that to rest heavy on your soul.

Crystal DuBois said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed the recipe. We love it around here. They are a little time consuming, but if you have a bread machine it does most of the work for you. I added a cost breakdown, including electricity...at 4 cents each pretzel, they are healthy & cheap!

Enjoy!

lilaclady said...

Hi again! I love soft pretzels , but they aren't a healthy snack for me. I ate about 3/4 one a bout 15 minutes ago & my sugar is 260. It sucks being diabetic. Now I have to go walk to get my sugar down. Blessings,Lisa