Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tonights Dinner-TACOS- $1.97




My family loves Taco night, and so do I. The only drawback is the price of the ingredients are climbing rapidly. As a result I started researching ways to cut corners, but to remain delicious.


Here is what I came up with .....


1/2 lb hamburger-.62 ( from my Pavillions trip earlier this week)
1/2 cup oatmeal -.06 cents
1 cup water-FREE
2 Tbsp. Taco seasonings- .07 cents

5 Tortillas .45 cents (9 cents each)

1/4 cup cheese .18 ( also from Pavillions trip)
1/10 head lettuce -.10 ( this is from Pavillions too!)
6 Tbsp. sour cream -.24 cents ( .04 / Tbsp)
3 Tbsp salsa -.01 ( During the safeway rally I purchased 24 cans of Zesty Mild Green Chilies for .04 cents per can)

3 servings Tortilla Chips- .21 (7 cents/ serving)
(4) 2 Tbsp containers- .03 cents (.008 cents ea)
Makes 5-6 tacos
I realize that the little containers are probably unnecessary,but I find that by having a 2 tbsp container already measured out, I waste a lot less, and am more accurate in my serving sizes. I buy these containers at Smart & Final for 2.00 for a package of 250. That makes them less than a penny each. I also purchase the lids for about a 1.00. They are perfect containers for school lunches.

No comments: